Re: File type determination

On Mon, 2003-12-29 at 18:43, Boris de Laage wrote:

<<snip>>

> I think it's a good idea. Nautilus gives a view of files, and should not
> care about the content when displaying them.
> The file property dialog could examine the file content and display a
> Content-type field, and maybe a warning if the extension is not correct.
>
> --
> Boris <emak free fr>

I agree just so long as, at the end, the user is in control. In other
words, the user must be able to tell Nautilus what the file type is to
be *even if it's incorrect*. This will prevent two problems. One is the
situation where you might want to open a file in an otherwise
inappropriate application, for whatever reason. The other is the
situation where Nautilus has determined an incorrect file type and
refuses to change it.

Don Henson