Re: File type determination

Vivek Bhanuprakash a écrit :
Hello

Just to throw in my two cents too...

How about the following...

1. Display file type according to the extension. Most of the programs that create files (AbiWord, OpenOffice, Shell scripts etc) do have extensions associated with the file name. So it is reasonable to assume that a larger percentage of files in a user directory will have extensions.

2. Display file types for files that do not have an extension by examining their content.

Additionally, we can combine John's idea about examining the file content during execution. And hence..

3. On double clicking a file, we can check the content and the file type. If they seem to be different or conflicting, then a warning can be displayed to the user to take appropriate action (continue, cancel etc).

By doing this, we can have an foresighted approach for a deterrent to future (or current?) viruses for Linux.

What do you think about this ?

I think it's a good idea. Nautilus gives a view of files, and should not care about the content when displaying them. The file property dialog could examine the file content and display a Content-type field, and maybe a warning if the extension is not correct.

--
Boris <emak free fr>