Re: Removing background patterns/colors

On Mi, 2003-12-24 at 20:46 +1100, Jeff Waugh wrote:
> <quote who="Christian Neumair">
>
> > When trying to redesign the "Backgrounds and Emblems" dialog, I just
> > noted that I've never used the background feature. It seems to be a
> > Nautilus theme relict that actually uses nobody. I propose to simply
> > remove the background pattern/color handling code when it comes to non-
> > Desktop folders.
> > Comments, suggestions? Any serious users out there relieing on that
> > feature?
>
> I don't use it because the UI is suboptimal. However, it becomes far more
> useful with spatulus [1], because folders actually mean something again.
> Definitely worth leaving in, but it needs some interaction work.

What's your point? Why do you need them? You could use emblems to
distinguish folders with the same name, too, we just need a way to
present those better (they are actually USED although they have a crappy
UI).
Sorry, but I still consider this feature useless since it ONLY refers to
the way the folder is presented _inside a window_, not even how the
folder itself can be identified without opening it first. In addition,
it doesn't characterize its children in any way and makes the UI
inconsistent and overrides the theme background which will destroy the
UI for ally themes.
We already removed this custom theming capability for the sidebar, why
should it stick for the folder?

regs,
 Chris