Re: Template system

> Distros should not add templates for users. How the heck would RedHat
> know what sort of documents you normally create?

<sarcasm>
I don't know, but perhaps user studies?
</sarcasm>

=)

>  Unless you want the
> useless "New HTML document" crap that some OSes have.

The killer feature for templates to work is that the implementation
should, right after you have named your newly created file, launch an
editing application so you can edit the file.  Thus, the user is hinted
and can know that creating a new file entails working on it.

Hope it helps productivity around the world.

> Templates are user-owned, and shouldn't be touched by any app or distro.
> At the most, a sysadmin might add some default Templates to /etc/skel
> for his site, but if the user deletes these (and its his full right to!)
> he can.

Alex, we still need to mind the needs of the distributors and OEMs and
vendors to supply templates, for the Linux and GNOME desktop to succeed
as a platform.  If I install OpenOffice, I should reasonably expect to
have a reasonable set of templates for OpenOffice documents installed,
and available to all my users without further action on my part, and
*without* the install program copying it on every user's $HOME (because
we already established that copying them to /etc/skel would do no good
for already-existing users).

--
	Manuel Amador (Rudd-O)
	GPG key ID: keyserver.net C1033CAD