Re: Template system

On Wed, 2003-12-17 at 15:27, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> Distros should not add templates for users. How the heck would RedHat
> know what sort of documents you normally create? Unless you want the
> useless "New HTML document" crap that some OSes have.

Yeah, I suspected something like "New OpenOffice document" or whatever.

As an aside, the only problem I see with using a regular file as a
template is that most users are just going to click "Save" and end up
overwriting their template rather than being prompted for a
name/location to save it to.

> Templates are user-owned, and shouldn't be touched by any app or distro.
> At the most, a sysadmin might add some default Templates to /etc/skel
> for his site, but if the user deletes these (and its his full right to!)
> he can.

Certainly post-installation I agree, but it would probably help to seed
them with something.

Joe