Re: sharing metadata, calling MDI apps (noob)

On Thu, 2003-12-11 at 23:00, David Morse wrote:
> Hi,
> I'd like other users to be able to see the metadata I've created for a
> certain directory tree.  I'm using Nautilus 2.2.4.  Is there any way to
> transplant the metadata without performing deep surgery on everyone's
> ~/.nautilus/metafiles directory?

Not really. We used to have shared metadata by storing it in a dotfile
in the directory itself. But this had various issues with security and
ownership of the files.

> Another question: is it possible to save a view as html?

No.

> Yet another question: when I select bunches of image files, and send
> them to gimp, it seems to do the SDI thing, and call "gimp 1.png 2.png
> 3.png", but for MDI apps like xmms, gnu emacs, gimp, etcetera, one
> really wants "gimp 1.png 2.png 3.png".  Actually it can get really
> complex, because in a best case world it would check for a resident gimp
> process, and then call gimp-remote on it.  Similar logic applies to
> emacs versus emacs-client, xmms versus xmms -e, and so on...

This depends on what attributes the mime data specifies for the app i
think. There is a can-handle-multiple-argument flag, and if that is set
it'll pass them on one line. (I think i remember this right.)

> And a final question: is there a nautilus FAQ?  If so, seems there
> should be a link to it from  www.gnome.org/projects/nautilus

I don't know of any. Anyone want to create one?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a gun-slinging shark-wrestling assassin who must take medication to keep
him sane. She's a disco-crazy red-headed pearl diver from aristocratic
European stock. They fight crime!