Re: What about these (old/annoying) bugs ?

On Mon, 2003-12-01 at 11:04, Sebastien Bacher wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to make some cleanup in nautilus' bugzilla for 2 weeks.
> After having read most of the bugs reports, I've made a small list of
> problems that seems to be annyoing for the users or staying for a
> while.
>
> I don't know if this list could be usefull or not, but I'd appreciate to
> have some nautilus devels' advices on the first point.
> The list has 2 categories, the first is about some bugs that need some
> consideration (what to do in reaction of some actions), the second
> contains only 'basic' bugs (no need to be analysed, just to be fixed)
> ... good start to make patchs for contributors :)
>

> So here it is:
>

> 1- Some points to be discussed :
>

> * Trash:
>
> - drag a device to the trash -> which action to do ? (umount/eject) ?
>   bug: 115763

This is delicate issue. It is easy to handle the trashing of volume
icons on the desktop (as witnessed by the dialog). However, its not as
simple, or as "natural" to handle trash drops of mounted volumes from
the Computer location (although we might be able to hack it in). If we
allow trash drops of the desktop volume icons people will learn that as
the way ejects are done, and might not e.g. find the context menu eject
operations on the icons in Computer.

> - limit the trash size (5/10% of the disk), ask to empty it if the disc
>   is full..
>
>   bug: 108413

Clearly out trash systems require some good thinking.

> - "delete" should not remove the trash ... right question: how to manage
>   special icons on the desktop (volumes, trash)
>   bug: 41850

Yeah, i've removed the ability to delete them. People should use
gconf-editor to change this.

> * Icons:
>
> - Should custom icon have 48x48 size, or preview's size ?
>   bug: 107382

I personally don't see any reason the custom icons shouldn't be the normal
icon size. Anyone else have a different opinion?

> 2- Some (annoying) bugs open for a while (will be nice to have them
> fixed before nautilus 2.6) :
>

> * Trash
>
> - Should be able to restore file out of the trash

I'd like to have that on files moved to the desktop too (macos 9 has
this). You'd move the file to the desktop, work on it and then "put
back". However, the implementation might not be trivial.

> - status of .Trash-user on mounted devices (zip, usb key, smb share ..)
>   + fam seems to monitor this dir and prevent the umount
>     bugs: 111501 122281

I think there is a bug in fam that sometimes locks up dirs by leaking
references to the open directory, and appart from this we might need to
be more aggressive in unmonitoring things when they are to be ejected.

> * Desktop:
>
> - DND a dir from a read only dir/media to the Desktop should be
>   associated to copy, not move
>
>   bug: 119467, 80694

As martin commented, this is pretty hard to fix. However, I fixed it to do
the same as normal directories, so you'll get copy as the default if the
source is on another filesystem.

> * Copy:
>
> - More information (time, speed)
>   bug: 47898

I'm not sure about this. It sort of depends on what you do. For normal
local filesystem copies I think a dialog packed full with transfer rate,
time estimates and stuff would just look overcomplicated and scary.
However, for actual remote downloads its a bit more important. Maybe
there is some middle ground here that won't be that scary for the normal
case. Maybe just having the total time estimate?

> * Labels:
>
> - Should limite the text displayed below the icon (in icon view)
>   bug: 84390

Needs ellipsize support in pango. Which is a lot of work.

> * Others:
>
> - Should scroll to new item after a rename
>   bug: 48357

Would be nice.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an otherworldly amnesiac inventor on a mission from God. She's a
vivacious bisexual nun descended from a line of powerful witches. They fight
crime!