RE: shift=and-close-the-current-folder?

On Sat, 2003-12-06 at 15:45, Murray Cumming Comneon com wrote:

> It's hard to persuade you without
> showing it to you on a Mac, but I am convinced that, if we implement
> it, it will be far more loved in future than any funky WM keybinding.

One kind of important thing we're missing here is any knowledge of how
many people are likely to use the keyboard to navigate file manager
windows, and how many to navigate their workspaces.

My hunch is that most people who are going to use a file manager are
likely to be using it with a mouse[1] (since keyboard-based file
management is often easier in a terminal, for those who know how),
whereas most people who switch workspaces are likely to do so with the
keyboard (since switching with the mouse requires a pretty large and
intrusive gesture, by default).  That might suggest we should reserve
the more optimal keyboard shortcuts for workspace switching, but with no
knowledge of the proportions of our overall user population who use file
managers and workspace switchers at all, even that's just guesswork :/

Cheeri,
Calum.

[1] Except those with specific accessibility requirements, of course.