Re: File sharing with Nautilus

On Mon, 2003-08-18 at 03:23, Alexander Larsson wrote:
> I have been giving this a lot of though in the context of the red hat
> distribution (being a developer of said project), and my current thoughs
> about this is:
>
> It's quite hard to do this in general. So much depends on the exact
> setup of the distribution in use. However, if you control the
> distribution (or can manually tweak stuff to fit your personal install)
> it might be possible.
>
> I'd like to integrate into Nautilus some minimal code to parse the samba
> config files. This means we can show "shared" emblems for directories
> that are shared. Then external code can use the context menu plugin
> system to add a "share this folder" operation. The hard part is writing
> the script to safely add shares to the samba configuration, in a way
> that will not break if the smb.conf file has been manually edited
> before, and in a way that isn't a huge security hole.

Don't forget sharing out a directory through nfs as well.  Some of use
still live in a Unix world believe it or not.

The sharing out of files via ftp and http seem to be interesting ideas
but problematic.

However, it seems like a very natural extension of the file manager to
at least hook into a general tool that allows users to share out
directories if they have the root password.  A combination of the
redhat-smb-config tool and the nfs tools or even better a tool that
mirrors the early gnome-system tool sharing utility.

It rocked in a UI sense because it handled setting up shares for nfs and
samba through one UI.

--
Johnathan Bailes	BAE Systems ESI
Phone number: 703-668-4450

"The aim of the release process is to finish software, not to develop
                         it..." - Havoc Pennington
---