Re: Local vfs modules

Hi Guys,

On Mon, Mar 31, 2003 at 11:20:07AM +0200, Christophe Fergeau wrote:

> > It looks like you can install them in ~/.gnome/vfs/modules. Thats slightly
> > broken. It should be ~/.gnome2. I'm changing that in cvs (and will release
> > a new version later today).
> >
> > You can also set GNOME_VFS_MODULE_CONFIG_PATH.
>
> As I understand the code, these two paths are used when looking for
> module configuration files (used to map method names and the
> corresponding object file). The actual path to the modules object files
> can be defined using the GNOME_VFS_MODULE_PATH env variable (see
> gnome-vfs-method.c:init_path_list).

	Well, it took me a bit longer than I said in my previous email to
	test it out, but I finally found some time to play around with it.

	I built a simple VFS module to test everything out, and pointed
	this environment variable to the location of the shared library,
	but wasn't able to see any response from Nautilus about the
	library being loaded.

	I followed the developer docs for building a VFS module at
	gnome.org, but perhaps I did something wrong.

	I created a shared library called libmc.so, had it in a directory
	pointed to by the above env variable, and tried to load it by entering
	mc:// in the Nautilus uri textbox. Nautilus told me that mc://
	wasn't a valid location.

	libmc.so simply defines vfs_module_init() & vfs_module_shutdown(), with
	vfs_module_init() writing to a file in /tmp (so I can tell its been
	loaded).

	Unfortunately I didn't see any files written to /tmp so I can't
	confirm that the module was loaded, but I feel a bit green behind
	the ears with all this so may be it was a user error on my part.

	What's not clear to me is when the module should actually be
	loaded. Is this done when Nautilus starts up ? or when the request
	for mc:// is done ? or is it done at some other time ?

	Is there a way I can query Nautilus to give me a list of loaded
	modules ?

	Sorry for all the newbie questions, just trying to understand the
	correct behaviour.

	Cheers,

	Marcus

     ,,$$$$$$$$$,      Marcus Crafter
    $:         $$$$:   ManageSoft GmbH
     ;$,    _/\ &&:'   60327 Frankfurt Germany
           \_&&&&'
          &&&&.
    &&&&&&&: