Re: Killing views [Was: Dealing with files in Gnome]

> I strongly disagree. Why are these file views silly? Actually, if I double
> click for example on an image I expect to see it. IMO the nautilus views
> are the easiest way for this task. The user isn't confrontated with
> another user interface, just continues to use the interface he is used to
> (nautilus).

The thing is that Nautilus's UI isn't the UI of a image/document viewer.
SO, it's better to open a dedicated viewer instead of using Nautilus.
For example, if I use Nautilus to preview a picture, this picture is
opened and I can't see other pictures. I can't go from one picture to
another, I can't perform a slide-show, I can't go full-screen. If I
resize the Nautilus window, then go back to file-managing, my window is
still full-screen etc...

Of course those issues could be fixed in Nautilus but wouldn't it be
smarter to make a perfect app dedicated to file-viewing ?

If you absolutely need to view files inline, then why not creating a
universal viewer and, then, making it a bonobo component that Nautilus
could use to preview files ?

There, you should ask: why not turning Nautilus into a universal viewer
if you're going to use a universal viewer embedded in Nautilus anyway ?

First, because it's better to separate projects that don't have the same
goals.
Then, because I would'nt like to see Nautilus UI crippled with
non-file-management UI elements (like konqueror) and make it a very
complicated app...
Finally, because if some users prefer to view files in an external app,
they can do it without Nautilus with this universal viewer app.