Re: [Usability]Re: Killing views [Was: Dealing with files in Gnome]

Jens Finke wrote:
On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Jeff Waugh wrote:

So are you saying that we should eliminate the simple text and image
viewer in nautilus? If so, which applications do you want to replace them
with?

I strongly agree that in-window per-file views [1] are confusing and largely
silly.

I strongly disagree. Why are these file views silly? Actually, if I double
click for example on an image I expect to see it. IMO the nautilus views
are the easiest way for this task. The user isn't confrontated with
another user interface, just continues to use the interface he is used to
(nautilus).

An good alternative is to build the preview application, discussed
previously in regards to gpdf/ggv/eog, and use it for all Nautilus per-file
view use. The Abiword preview component could sit nicely it, etc. This app
could also provide a plug-in to the next-gen file selector to show previews
for every file type it knows about.

Apart from the simple fact that using the same UI for both file managing and file viewing tasks is inherently confusing (as it has been mentioned in other parts of this thread), viewing images or docs in the same window used for navigating directories and file managing operations *slows you down horribly*. Suppose you're browsing half a dozen images to pick the best one to put in your web site: if you're using Nautilus to do this you have to open each one in the same window that shows the directory contents, then study it closely, then go back, then open another one, and so on; it's even worse if the files are spread in different directories. If you just click on a file and that file is opened in an external viewer, you can do both operations (directory navigation and file browsing/comparing) at the same time.

What is the exact benfit of it? I hardly see a difference to our current
approach. Beside the fact, that this general viewer doesn't exist yet in
contrast to the generic NautilusViews.

I think that it wouldn't be too difficult to create such a general viewer: look at the exchange between Alexander Larsson and Martin Savior. An Abiword-based viewer for text files looks like a logical solution to me, the idea can be expanded to image, pdf etc. files.

Ciao

Roberto Rosselli Del Turco      e-mail:	rosselli at cisi.unito.it
Dipartimento di Scienze			rosselli at ling.unipi.it
del Linguaggio			Then spoke the thunder	DA
Universita' di Torino		Datta: what have we given?  (TSE)

  Hige sceal the heardra,     heorte the cenre,
  mod sceal the mare,       the ure maegen litlath.  (Maldon 312-3)