Re: [Usability]Dealing with files in Gnome

> > Regarding Pick up and drop, I think the semantics are no better. What
> > happens if you "pick up" one object, then another, and then drop? It
>
> The way this ought to work is to let it be impossible to pick up more than
> one object (or group of objects) at a time.

mm, well I'm not so sure about that. Granted it's a lot simple if you
can only pick up one file(or group of files) at a time, but if we could
work past the problems associated with picking up more than one file,
this would be a really useful feature. In fact without it pick up and
drop would be REALLY similar to copy and paste.

I like Weasley's idea of a cursor tag-a-long - would be far better than
the way windows shows when a file has been copied, and would make the
Pick up and Drop metaphor "feel right".

> I'd wager to guess most of "our users" are familiar with editing
> operations in the context of word processing. But I highly doubt this is
> the case for file management - stretching the cut/copy/paste metaphor to
> that area was, IMHO, silly to begin with.

I'd go further and say that the majority of out patential users never
even use a file manager. I can truthfully say that evey windows user I
know who has never used linux(to give you an idea of their level of
expertiese) does not have a firm grasp of Window Explorer.

--
		 .--= [ MArk Finlay - sisob ] =--.

        [ Gnome User's Board : www.gnomesupport.org/forums ]
    [ Public Key: http://evolvedoo.sf.net/sisobatericomdotnet.asc  ]