Re: directory backgrounds

On Fri, 2002-09-20 at 17:57, Dave Bordoley wrote:

> > * Should backgrounds be specified by the nautilus theme?
> >
> > I think the answer here is a pretty clear No, particularly as nautilus
> > themes start to go away.
>
> I agree with you, i think the idea of a nautilus theme needs to go away.
> For the default sidebar, the only reason a pixmap is even used is the
> lack of content. So maybe we could:
> 1) make it more useful, add more stuff and use the gtk theme (ie none of
> this change the sidebar background nonsense) or

Folder backgrounds are often offered as a means to denote something
special about folder or content, much like emblems are for icon.  There
is some usability justification for using the background to establish a
context.  But there is not simple scheme for setting and managing them.
What is offered instead are backgrounds that distract from the folder
content, and might simply be called eye candy.

I  don't use backgrounds, though I have tried.  I'd like some sane
scheme where by the emblem on the folder influences the background to
denote what is special about the folder.  I shouldn't be setting the
background, or the emblem, I think we need a semantic mechanism that I
mark a folder as 'urgent', 'drafts', 'archive', and the emblem, color,
and background are present according to the desktop/gnome theme.

--

sinzui cox net