Re: Nautilus and tar.gz/tar.bz2

On Thu, 2002-09-12 at 16:48, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> Users should be able to perform
> any action they can on a regular folder upon an archive file. This would
> include drag and dropping of files into the archive icon like you can
> with folders, viewing archives as lists/icons etc, creating new archives
> from the context menu (a new documents menu would be really cool).

Ok, yes, this is the proper way to do it.  However, there are a few
features that have been outstanding for a long time because the proper
way has not been coded yet.  If this can be done before the official
user release of Gnome 2, then fine that is great the proper way IS best.

> A file-roller view may be a good short term fix, but the real goal

Manuel Clos, mentions some other advantages that a file roller view
might have, however, I think an internal solution would be best.  Still,
as a Gnome user, I do not want to go through another round of reading
asinine articles listing the absence of this feature as another
indication of the incomplete nature of Nautilus.  Nautilus has many
outstanding features that are ignored because little things people
expect from a file manager are absent.

A temporary fix that works is better than a long term solution that
never materializes.

Especially if the short term fix is a view that can be easily removed
without disrupting the ongoing code base.

IMHO.

--
Johnathan Bailes	BAE Systems ESI

 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn
---