Re: [Usability]Re: PATCH: Bug 82107, Turn off nautilus sidebar and location bar by default

Seth Nickell wrote:

On Sun, 2002-09-01 at 00:37, Damien Covey wrote:
I personally would hate to see the location bar go. The dumbing down of the interface is one reason that I have left WinXP behind me in preference for Linux. And even for "non advanced" users it is usefull to have to location bar there. How else can I obtain from a user over the phone what directory they are in. The answer "temp" doesnt really help me much, it could be /home/user/temp/ or /temp. I'm sure there are other circumstances where this is the case.

The answer is "Hold down the key with the words "ctrl" and press l". Or
just have them go to view->location bar.

Also, FWIW, ctrl-l's behavior is very convinent. You press it and it
starts with the location bar text highlighted. You type what you want,
and when you press enter it magically disappears again.

-Seth

Guess that I'll just have to give it a go and see how it effects my (and others) day to day usage of it.  I'm just worried that when I'm trying to help someone find something on their computer it will be difficult to tell what directory they are currently in.