Re: [patch] pluggable property dialog pages

Hi James,

On Thu, 2002-10-24 at 18:56, James Willcox wrote:
> > Michael said on irc that changing the view creation to use the async
> > NautilusView control activation functions might be good. He also suggested
> > that maybe we should use plain Bonobo components instead of NautilusViews,
> > which might make sense.
>
> Yeah, I think using async activation is definitely a good idea.  I am
> not sure why we wouldn't want to use NautilusView though.

	It's far heavier, and we only want 1 method 'setURI' :-) in general
it's good to have less complexity IMHO.

	We should also use a property on it 'URI' or something, and we should
set that asynchronously too; there is a method in
eel/eel-gnome-extensions.[ch] that sets a property asynchronously - I'd
very much appreciate someone making up a patch to merge that into
libbonobo for 2.2.

>   I mean, the
> interface is exactly what we need.  Plus, it might be easy to modify,
> say, the notes sidebar to also work for files (it currently only works
> for directories).  There is the issue of confusion between regular files
> views and property page views (i.e., property page views showing up in
> the component chooser), but I think that can be easily worked out.

	Hmm; well - we'd still get that using Controls in fact since they are
adapted into Nautilus views by the nautilus view logic. Of course - the
real benefit of using a BonoboControl is code simplification, instead of
a QueryInterface for some Nautilus interface etc. you can just do:

	bonobo_widget_set_property (widget, "uri", new_uri, NULL);

	[ although not async as you can see ].

	which seems cleaner / neater to me.

	Regards,

		Michael.