Re: `New' sub-menu in desktop's rightclick-menu

On Wed, 2002-05-22 at 16:56, Alex Larsson wrote:
> Why would someone want to create a FS device desktop file? They are
> internal implementation specifics of how we handle mounted devices.
> And as I said above having a create link menu that brings up a dialog
> where you select where the link goes (file selector?) seems like a bad way
> of doing it. Drag and Drop (with shift hold down to create a link) or
> "Paste as Link" (for accesibility) seems like much more natural operations
> to me.

i was thinking of links for urls like ftp links (konqueror has this)
etc, better terminology is definately needed though.

> In a perfect world $HOME as the desktop may make sense. But the fact is
> that we live in a hetrogenous environment, and a lot of apps write random
> stuff in $home that the user are not really interested in, and that are
> potentially dangerous to move/remove. Therefore I don't see
> home-as-desktop being the default in the near or medium term. I would like
> to make the desktop directory a visible directory though.

Conversly i argue that if a file is dangerous to remove than apps
shouldn't be making these files non-hidden since even in the shell it
would be too easy to delete these. However i do not want to argue the
merit of $home as the desktop as we have discussed this about a million
times in the past, i just wanted to give some reference for my idea.

(oddly enough i discovered while perusing old bugs that $home was the
desktop originally in nautilus when using the now defunct intermediate
and advance user levels, see bug 43993 for reference)

Just to note, i think i may try to do a complete install of redhat 7.3
on a spare partition sometime and try to file bugs with every app that
doesn't use hidden files.