Re: Accelerator for New Window

On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 14:24, David Moles wrote:
> On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 13:49, Ben FrantzDale wrote:
> >
> > I havn't read this thread so sory if this is a duplicate:
> > One problem with Ctrl+N for new folder is that those people used to
> > emacs/shell keybindings instinctively use ctrl+N instead of reaching for
> > the down-arrow key. Many times I've found ``New Folder''s on my desktop
> > from when the desktop had focus rather than a text-editor and I hit
> > ctrl+N.
> >
> > BTW: There's a similar problem for pressing ctrl+D while editng the name
> > of a file in icon view. Perhaps I should open a bug for that one(?) I
> > don't think people would really want to be duplicating a file when they
> > are already editing the file name.
>
> As an Emacs user, I sympathize, but I don't think that there's any
> way we're going to be able to get keyboard shortcuts that are both
> sensible to the wide universe of non-Emacs users (particularly ex-
> Windows and ex-Mac users) but that also don't conflict with
> popular Emacs keybindings. Just off the top of my head I can come
> up with:
>
>   shortcut    commercial GUI consensus    Emacs meaning
>   --------    ------------------------    -------------
>     C-x       "Cut"                       "Begin 2-stroke sequence"
>     C-v       "Paste"                     "Page Down"
>     C-n       "New"                       "Cursor Down"
>     C-z       "Undo"                      "Background/iconify Emacs"
>     C-w       "Close Window"              "Cut"
>     C-a       "Select all"                "Home" (go to start of line)
>
> And I'm sure there are dozens of others. I think it would be
> reasonable to have an Emacs-friendly keybinding theme, but I don't
> think it would be reasonable to expect the universe of non-Emacs
> users to learn / work around Emacs keybindings.

I agree that Nautilus shouldn't aim to please people who are used to
unintuative emacs keybindings in general. In the case of C-d in the icon
view renaming a file, though, I'm thinking bindings like C-d, etc.
should just be ignored. (In general I find the `edit a file name' mode
to be a bit fragile---that it's to easy to get out of the mode.)

--Ben