Re: [Nautilus-list] Open new window for each folder or file

On Fri, 2002-03-29 at 12:49, René Seindal wrote:

    "plugin131.trace" is from the mozilla java plugin.  Keeps appearing.

Could be a crash dump?

    I'd like four or five of the twelve items to go away.  They can't be
    deleted, renamed or moved, so they should be hidden from view.  What is
    really needed to finish the cleanup and have a nice tidy desktop is the
    ability in nautilus to right-click on an item and select "Hide this
    file" (or similar).

    I see two possibilities, not mutually exclusive.

    There are already preferences to hide files matching "*~" and ".*".
    This could be generalised to hide files matching any of a series of
    patterns.  This is probably how its implemented, but there is no way to
    change the patterns.  Maybe I'd like to hide "OLD*" or "*.copia" or
    "*.{log,aux,blg,bbl}".  A way to change the patterns would be nice.
    This is and should remain a global setting.

Yep, something like the

	select-by-word characters:[-A-Za-z0-9,./?%&#-~:?+ ]

in gnome-terminal. A comma separated list of regexps to hide. I know we
want to avoid cluttering the preferences so this could even be a hidden
gconf key, although maybe it could contain some default annoying folders
and files by default if you choose home == desktop. Dunno.

    For individual files it would be nice to be able to say: I don't want to
    see this file here anymore, like mentioned above (right-click, hide).
    To get it back it would be necessary to go the preferences, select "Show
    hidden files" to get the icon back, then right-click and select "Show
    this file in default view" (or something like it).  Since it is rather
    hard to get the icon back and the disappearance might confuse many
    users, it would probably be necessary with a confirmation/explanation
    dialog before hiding the file.  The user should be told that the file is
    *not* deleted, just hidden from view, and how to reinstate the icon.

Yea, this is a complex thing.

    If I could be rid of the few things in my home dir I don't control, I
    would definitely use the Desktop = $HOME option.

Okay.

<HACK type="evil">
Hide them under your panel. That's what I do. If you have a bottom
panel, move it to the side (drag with middle mouse button) and then put
those to-be-hidden things right to the bottom, so that just the top part
of the icons show, then move the panel back. It is a horrible kludge but
it works in practice.
</HACK>

    Thanks.  I hardly ever use the menubar, and the shortcuts aren't shown
    in the right-click menu, so I hadn't noticed it.

Glad that you liked it. I use that just for opening images etc in the
new window.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::