[Nautilus-list] Open new window for each folder or file

Hi,

I'm trying to get used to use a graphical shell, which is a bit weird,
as I'm the kind of person that would do image processing from the
command line.  Nautilus is very nice, though.

Anyway, I am playing with the preferences to find something that suits
me, and I stumbled over the setting to open new windows for each folder
or file opened.

Opening a new window for each folder is too much, and I end up spending
a lot of time getting rid of them, so I have it disabled, but it would
be nice for files.  So if I have a folder full of images, I'd like to
select the folder while remaining in the same window, but having the
images open in new windows.  This is not possible currently.

An alternative to two preference settings would be to be able to
indicate the desire to open a new window based on the mime type of the
object that is being opened.  That way one could have separate windows
for images, but not for text files.

Part of my problem really is that with a folder view that is very long,
nautilus doesn't remember the position of the scrollbar when I return
with the back button.  If I scroll to the bottom of a long list, open an
image, and return with the back button, I'm back at the start of the
list.  This is a bit of a nuisance.

Another small thing.  One can only annotate files that nautilus can
open.  How do I annotate something that nautilus cannot open?

I use nautilus from Debian/testing, i.e., 1.0.6.

--
René Seindal (rene seindal dk)              http://www.seindal.dk/rene/