Re: [Nautilus-list] BUGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

On Tue, 2002-03-26 at 22:38, David Bordoley wrote:
    40260 --  Themable sound effects attached to certain interactions

    my opinion is that this should really be part of the gnome sound
    settings and not be nautilus specific.

A lot of the "theme" stuff would be nice to be combined into one place,
but it is of course easier said than done.

    40136 -- Store text-under-icon choice per directory

    A feature request to make the text under icons in the icon view settable
    per directory. In my opinion this seems like per-directory settings gone
    awry.

Font setting per dir? Gimmeabreak.. :-D

    41963 -- Audio/music content analysis (classifying WAV's)

    a feature request to have nautilus sort wav's, mp3s etc. via their
    physical content by analysis of it. Personally i think this is way
    outside the scope of nautilus. I guess if gstreamer could provide this
    functionality and we switched to using gstreamer for music view (star
    trek future) than perhaps this could be done, but in the mean time I
    really think this is wont fix, but of course it's up to the maintainers,
    but I think this is crack.

This would be nice for a "view as music collection" view, much like
Apple iTunes. Maybe Rhythmbox could have a nautilus view too? (hi
Bastien :-) But it is definitely not what we want to bloat nautilus
itself with I guess.

I know BeOS had something like this since the beos filesystem was
essentially a database with all funky metadata. So you could view your
maildir in list view too, showing all the mail headers in columns etc..

    42834 -- please add a way to customize the toolbar

    feature request to make the toolbar button order totally configurable.
    Galeon currently has this feature, but personally i feel that its a
    cracked out feature that reduces desktop consistency. Imnsho we should
    just follow the hig recommendations for toolbars.

One thing I would like to see is to have the Favorites button in the
toolbar. That would be actually useful. Since then everything important
for you would be just 2 clicks away. favorites:// works already.

Again, this is configurable on macos, but I agree we should just have a
sensible default set. Having the favorites button there will make it
easier to find those often needed locations.

    46046 -- Can't change Trash file permissions through GUI

    Correct me if i'm wrong, but doesn't it make no sense having permission
    on the trash directory since it's a vfolder?

On Mac you get a dialog to "move the file out of trash" if you try to
run some app in there for example. How often do you want to change file
permissions on trash anyway? Except that if it is a file you cannot
delete, then it is a problem (moving a folder with root-owned files
inside it into the trash will be one of these cases)

    46270 -- Use GtkButtonBox to standardize appearance of buttons

    Is this still relevant?

The nautilus toolbar buttons are all spaced strangely, thus making the
toolbar rather wide, there is a lot of horizontal spacing no matter how
small icons you do.

We could also make the emblem tab on the properties dialog use a table
of toggle buttons instead of that weird checkboxes-and-icons-thing? The
emblems would be inside the toggle buttons then. Just a neat grid of
icons, with the selected emblems "pressed in".

I hope some of this was useful..

Tuomas
--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::