Re: SV: [Nautilus-list] Desktop folder

On Thu, 2002-03-21 at 18:29, Ettore Perazzoli wrote:
> Making it the default would just frustrate existing Linux users, and
> really not do much to improve the usability of the desktop.

I do disagree. Why should this 'frustrate' users ? It is more logical
than a (hidden) dir somewhere:
I save the stuff I am currently working at to $HOME to be able to get
there from shell very quickly.
One should be able to do so by default with nautilus too.

> The situation is not much different from what happened in the Windows
> world when Microsoft added the notion of a desktop with Windows 95.  It
> didn't make sense for them to use C:\ as the desktop directory, and it
> doesn't make sense for us to use ~ as the desktop directory either.

Sorry to say that, but this comparison is not of any use. M$ has nothing
like a LFS, they just put everything in c:\windows\(system32\).

However they do have user dirs on NT and the desktop is a dir below that
called 'Desktop'.

It is not easy to copy something to that dir by shell since it is hidden
very deep in the file system structure.

Soeren.