Re: [GNOME VFS] Re: [Nautilus-list] nautilus and gnome-vfs

On Wed, 2002-03-06 at 21:11, Havoc Pennington wrote:

> "Shahms E. King" <shahms shahms com> writes:
> > While reading the recent thread about .desktop file editing in Nautilus,
> > it occurred to me that the desktop itself should probably be a gnome-vfs
> > URI (desktop:/// anyone?) so I actually took the five minutes to add to
> > the libdesktop module in gnome-vfs (the appropriate change in nautilus
> > was similarly trivial), in fact the changes were so simple (and come
> > with so many other potential benefits, like, say administrator mandated
> > desktop items -- has some drawback, but I digress) without impacting
> > Nautilus' ability to "Use Home Directory as Desktop" that I figured I'd
> > ask why before submitting the appropriate patches ...
> >

> A desktop: URI is quite a nice idea, I think.

Sounds good to me, but URIs aren't much of a solution in general. They
make a nice power user feature if you know about them... but they can be
hard to figure out, and we have no obvious mechanism for the user te
explore the available URIs.

-Seth