Re: Mime types and nautilus

On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 15:40, Dave Bordoley wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-06-21 at 13:20, George Farris wrote:
> >
> > This is why a clear indication from the release team about what will be
> > addressed in 2.0.1 and 2.2 will offer hope.  I'm hoping that these items
> > are addressed:
> >
> > Nautilus:
> > 	Open tar and tar.gz files.
>
> VFS backend is in place. Now nautilus just needs to support chain uri
>
> > 	Open rpm files.
>
> Would require an rpm vfs module. (apparently the rpm api changes alot
> (so i hear) so i'm not sure how likely this is to happen)
>
> > 	Better handling of unknown mime.
>
> This is my main complaint. The current nautilus mechanism for this is
> just kind of tricky. I see this as a major usability hole right now.
> Basically it's just to hard to setup mime types right now (let alone
> just open a file with an application when nautilus doesn't know the mime
> type). Some times i want to just be able to click on a file choose open
> with... and get a list of all programs and just use that program. Right
> now this is really hard to do in nautilus (confusing too).
>
> > 	SMB share support without password in location.
>
> Needs to be fixed in vfs. Nautilus has a login dialog, but as for ftp,
> VFS doesn't support it yet for smb (apparently from your comment) file a
> bug with vfs.
>
> > 	Web view via Galeon.
>
> already exists with galeon2. however until mozilla is fully ported to
> gtk2 we'll have issues. (basically most of the bugs i've encountered
> while using galeon2 are mozilla related, it's pretty rock solid though).
>
> > 	Shelf in sidebar. Drag files to shelf. drag shelf to destination.
> >

> explain a little please. What is this feature? Even better file a bug.
Why implement something like that now?  I think that copy/cut/paste is
pretty much the same thing but better.  if nautilus had tabs (window
locations) like mozilla and galeon, then the shelf idea would definetely
be useless and efficient compared to drag&drop to different tabs.  As a
matter of fact I think that the tabs is sort of like a more powerful
version of the idea shelf.

>bug 48034 -- Implement Galeon-style tabs
>This is one of those things that just isn't that helpful in a file
>manager/desktop shell app. If we were trying to make nautilus into a
>good web browser it be one thing, but the general consensus seems to be
>thats what galeon is for.

No this makes even more sence in file browser than a in web browser.
Think about basic file operations (copy, move).

Current way of doing this in nautilus:
1.  - Copy/cut from current location.
    - switch to another location or open new window.
    - paste to new location/window.

2.  - open two windows
    - drag&drop from window1 to window2.
3.  - drag&drop to desktop
    - change location
    - drag&drop from desktop to new location.

I believe that I have covered every possible way to copy/cut files
around in nautilus, and guess what I believe that a shell/console is
still faster than nautilus at doing these basic file operations.

New way with tabs:
1.  - Open desired target location  in new tab.
    - drag & drop to tab.
    - takes this even further.
     * one can efficiently copy/cut a bunch file to different locations
       by having several tabbed locations.
When nautilus have support for browsing tar.* or gz bz2 and zip
* side note middle click open location in new tab; same as mozilla if it
is set in preference.
2.   - middle click on tar.*,gz, bz2 or zip
       nautilus open archive location in new tab, but my current
location now as it's own tab.
     - one can efficiently drag&drop from archive location to previous
location tab.
     * side note It would be great if vfs would allow one to drag&drop
normal folder location to archive location.

This in my opinion would finally make nautilus more efficient/faster
than a shell/console at basic file operations.

Sorry Dave but I have to totally disagree with you on the tab thing.
Plus it would make gnome more consistent since both mozilla and galeon
have tabs.

I believe that sidebar should be use to display revelant info about
current location and current file selected.

Some ideas below:

For current selected file nautilus could display:
mime type, details properties of media files, codecs used, bit rates,
and time length.

For current location:
for ftp display revelant info like welcome messages.
list other mirror sites ( user would have to associate mirrors locations
to that current ftp location).  You can even take this further if one
try to copy a file said ftp location with listed mirror site  nautilus
would attempted to get file from mirror sites first ( again this would
to be user configurable setting )