Re: Mime types and nautilus

> > 	Better handling of unknown mime.
>
> This is my main complaint. The current nautilus mechanism for this is
> just kind of tricky. I see this as a major usability hole right now.
> Basically it's just to hard to setup mime types right now (let alone
> just open a file with an application when nautilus doesn't know the mime
> type). Some times i want to just be able to click on a file choose open
> with... and get a list of all programs and just use that program. Right
> now this is really hard to do in nautilus (confusing too).

I know this is not totally the point of your complaint, but there is a
simple script I keep on the scripts menu for just this problem,
available here:

 http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/nautilus-scripts/Execute/run

It would work even better if it used grun, but that utility needs to be
fixed so that it can accept command-line arguments to pass to the
selected application.  Maybe I should file a bug on it.

The fact that I have to do an end-run around Nautilus for something so
simple suggests that this should be handled better in the first place.
Luckily, Nautilus offers the ability to perform the end-run.