Re: [Fwd: Drag latency]

Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert ximian com> writes:

> But the Nautilus issue is a bit different, since there is an initial
> delay (1-5 seconds or so) from when you start a drag (and the pointer
> changes to the "drag" pointer until the drag icon (the file icon pixmap)
> jumps to catch up the mouse pointer. And this happens only the first
> time you do a DND action, all the remaining ones are fast after the
> first "lag". It is also depending a lot on system load it seems.
>
> I wonder what causes the issue, could it be Nautilus creating the pixmap
> for the drag (not likely though, since different drag pixmaps on
> following drags are appearing very fast) - or is there some stuff that
> needs to happen on the X server to create a reserved pixmap for the drag
> icon that is then cached (and thus fast) for the following DND actions
> (just replacing the content of it?)

Well, the fact that it doesn't catch up, but replays all events
is the same thing in both cases. Just the mechanism for getting
behind is different.

It sounds like nautilus is doing something very expensive
when it it is starting the first drag, it's hard to guess
what that would be off hand. The delay sounds like it would
be a problem even if GTK+ did catch up properly.

Regards,
                                        Owen