Re: [Fwd: Drag latency]

On Wed, 2002-06-19 at 15:27, Owen Taylor wrote:
    Tuomas Kuosmanen <tigert ximian com> writes:

    > Hi!
    >
    > Was this something I heard had a patch for in gtk HEAD? If so, could you
    > reply to the message on the list? Since I see this problem too, and I am
    > wondering if it is a nautilus or generic gtk issue?

    No, it is not patched in GTK+ head. I think nautilus just shows it
    up because it is slow to redraw.

    (bug 70236)

[the above is about slow redraw of DND stuff over remote X11]

Hmm. I think that is a different issue. The Evolution DND thing is
painful over remote X because it looks like it tries to redraw the drag
item for every pixel you move the mouse at, and it is hopelessly slower
than moving the mouse, so it lags behind.

But the Nautilus issue is a bit different, since there is an initial
delay (1-5 seconds or so) from when you start a drag (and the pointer
changes to the "drag" pointer until the drag icon (the file icon pixmap)
jumps to catch up the mouse pointer. And this happens only the first
time you do a DND action, all the remaining ones are fast after the
first "lag". It is also depending a lot on system load it seems.

I wonder what causes the issue, could it be Nautilus creating the pixmap
for the drag (not likely though, since different drag pixmaps on
following drags are appearing very fast) - or is there some stuff that
needs to happen on the X server to create a reserved pixmap for the drag
icon that is then cached (and thus fast) for the following DND actions
(just replacing the content of it?)

I dont know how X works so it is hard to tell. But something is
happening there that is not fun. The drag delay is sometimes very
annoying if you just drag something quickly and you drop before the DND
icon catches up, it just "jumps back".

I am Cc:ing nautilus-list as well so other folks In The Know can follow
up since I dont have the clues to figure this one out.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::