Re: Configuration server couldn't be contacted

Havoc Pennington wrote:

> Dave Lawrence <dgl integrinautics com> writes:
> > Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
> >   Failed to launch configuration server: Failed to create pipe for
> > communicating with child process (Too many open files)
>
> Your machine is out of file descriptors for some reason. Use "lsof" to
> see what process has a bunch of them open. You have to be root to use
> lsof.
>
> Havoc
> --

I don't think my machine is out of file descriptors before running
nautilus.
I wrote some test code (see below) that opens /dev/null until there are
no
more free file descriptors and it was able to open 509 new file
descriptors.
Also, if I su to a different user, nautilus runs ok.  Something in my
configuration is causing nautilus to crash.  I think the problem might be

related to having started gnome from a different computer on our network
that has older packages.  My account is on a file server and I can access
it
from different computers.  I have been running from a computer with
redhat7.3 + red carpet packages thru ~6/15/02.  Yesterday I logged in on
a computer with redhat7.3 and no updates and then logged out.  The next
time I logged in on the red carpet-upgraded version, nautilus was broken.

Come to think of it, I was logged in on both computers simultaneously...
can that break my nautilus configuration??

For the benefit of those who didn't read my earlier message, nautilus
crashes
after printing:
Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
  Configuration server couldn't be contacted:
 Adding client to server's list failed, CORBA error:
IDL:omg.org/CORBA/COMM_FAIL
URE:1.0
(this is printed 244 times)

Eel-WARNING **: GConf error:
  Failed to launch configuration server: Failed to create pipe for
communicating with child process (Too many open files)
(this is printed 92 times)

GnomeVFS-pthread-ERROR **: file gnome-vfs-job.c: line 598
(gnome_vfs_job_set): assertion failed:
(gnome_vfs_context_get_cancellation (op->context) != NULL)
aborting...
(this is printed once, followed by a core dump)

BTW, here's the test code I ran:
main()
{
  int fd[8192], i;