Re: nautilus-list digest, Vol 1 #106 - 14 msgs

Dave Bordoley writes:

>> > bug 44772 -- double-clicking file name should start renaming (not open
>> > file)
>> >
>> > Personally i think clicking should never start rename, we have a rename
>> > option in the context menu, this is much cleaner and prevents users from
>> > accidentally starting rename. I would actually like to see click for
>> > rename removed from the list view as well since I'm always accidentally
>> > starting renaming when i just want to open a folder
>>
>> This sounds like a ui detail that is very hard to get right (in fact, it
>> seems neither windows nor mac got it right). Right now we're totally
>> punting it, but the current method is sort of contrary to the direct
>> manipulation model nautilus uses.
>>
>> I wouldn't be against someone experimenting with this, but we have to test
>> the behaviour a lot before accepting it.
>
>I'm still very against this, as you've mentioned no one else has seemed
>to get this right. The list view currently has this and I'm always
>accidentally starting the rename operation(even when using single click
>mode).

Hi Dave, I am also against this.  Not only do I suffer that same problem as
well, but I have seen many other people using windows explore rename a file
when they meant to double click to open it.  I prefer the current context menu
and short cut key method.

>> > bug 70543 -- please add commands to bzip or tar and bzip to the
>> > right-click menu
>> >
>> > Isn't this what scripts support is for. I do think it would be nice to
>> > include some default scripts wit> > bug 62201 -- Do not show dot files in
>Sidebar: Tree, even if "show dot
>> > files" enabled
>> >
>> > Why should we ignore the user chosen preference. I don't see the benefit
>> > of special casing this.
>>
>> Yeah. It sounds pretty confusing.h nautilus though.
>>
>> I think this sounds like a great idea. scripts are for user customization
>> or special needs, not core functionallity.
>
>ok maybe we can create a context menu item add to => some virtual
>folder. Where the virtual folder can be a placeholder folder for files
>that should be added to a tar/zip etc. or maybe a virtual folder for
>files to burn to a cd (integrated cd buring would be way cool, at least
>for data). What do you think?

Hi Dave,  I like this too.  A quick example.  My mum uses Win98 to drag and
drop files from hard disk to CD (in Windows Explorer) without the hassle of CD
software.  She can handle this :)  This would be a fantastic feature to add to
Nautillus or Gnome VFS, which would it be added to?

>> > bug 47103 -- need scaled version of Trash icon in default theme so it
>> > looks good
>> >
>> > Complains about the fact that default trash icon doesn't scale.
>> > Considering that the existing nautilus themes are pretty much
>> > unsupported, I think we should just close this. In the long term we'll
>> > probably just want to replace the existing nautilus themes with ones
>> > that are more gnomish anyway i would guess.
>>
>> DaveB wants to remove stuff, film at eleven. :)
>>
>> I would like a larger version of the blue trashcan, but since arlo doesn't
>> work on gnome any more that will be hard i guess.
>
>We probably should create a new default theme that uses the same color
>palette as the stock icons so that the default nautilus theme better
>compliments them. I know gtk is planning on making slight changes to its
>default theme in 2.2 so that it compliments the stock icons better see
>bug 80691.

Hi Dave,  I rather like the default theme.  If necessary I will get more
involved to try to help maintain it.  What does anyone think? Could this job be
split.  I can lend a hand.

>dave

Mark Pawson

BSC Computing (Sheffield Hallam University)