Re: PATCH: use timeouts for progress dialogs

On Tue, 2002-07-30 at 19:50, Frank Worsley wrote:
> > You should probably create_ui in nautilus_file_operation_progress_new()
> > if FALSE is sent for use_timeout.  If you do this, the realize handler
> > shouldn't be necessary.
>
> Yeah, but I thought if you don't want the dialog to be shown with a
> timeout, you will probably show or not show it using your own criteria.
> In that case you might as well still gain efficiency by not creating the
> UI if it's not needed. If you don't like it I will remove it, but I
> thought it was kind of a neat idea since the UI creation seems to take
> quite a while.

I don't think we want to have too many different strategies for delaying
the display of nautilus' file progress dialog.  I'd rather be simple in
the common (and hopefully only) case.

And I meant to ask earlier, but forgot:  did you test the performance
boost of just delaying mapping/realizing vs. delaying creation?

> > Out of curiosity, how did you choose 1200 milliseconds?
>
> I first tried it with 3000 and that was too long. I wanted to half it
> and thought that was still too much, but I also thought 1 second was too
> little. So I just settled on 1200 and didn't try anything else. :)

As good a reason as any.

-dave