Re: Help, help, help!!!

On Mon, 2002-07-29 at 14:47, Damian Dobroczynski wrote:

> PC Pentium IV, 1.6 GHz.
> Mandrake 8.1
> Ximian-GNOME 1.4.x (the latest)
> dynamic IP (this does not matter, because when the IP was fixed all of the
> calamities happened also)
> XFree 4.x with GeForce II (NVidia-made driver)

Does this also happen with a non-NVidia driver? Those used to be a bit
unstable at least before, though I heard the quality of the binary-only
stuff has improved lately. But system hangs definitely sound like the
videocard locking up or some other hardware related problem. Or you
might also check your RAM chips, one of them might be bad..? User
applications definitely have hard time crashing the kernel. Somehow I
suspect the video driver.

Another common thing to these is that everything uses the network, so
what kind of network card do you have, and what drivers? They could
crash too, though I dont think it is very likely if the card is one of
the common ones, the Linux network drivers are pretty stable in my
experience.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::