Re: Add Network Neighborhood to Nautilus

On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 13:36, David Moles wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-07-26 at 08:32, snickell stanford edu wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure of the implementation feasibility (do all interesting
> > protocols allow us to determine a unique identifier, say IP address, for
> > the machine sharing resources, so we don't get computers showing up
> > twice?), but I generally like the idea of making protocol less visible
> > here. You're right, the user wants to access a particular resource not
> > "use SMB" or "use AppleTalk". There might also be some interface
> > conflicts, e.g. in how the various services allow heirarchy and such,
> > but if the implementation was feasible and the interface conflicts could
> > be overcome this would be a pretty slick system.
>
> What about the scenario of one machine having different shares
> with different protocols? We might need an extra layer of abstraction
> in that case (clicking on the machine gets you a virtual folder with
> that machine's different shared resources), at least.

e.g.

"Network Resources: WORKSTATION"

   [P]                  [F]                       {F}
 PRINTER               FILES                    Mac Files
SMB Printer         SMB Shared Files        AFP Shared Files
... perhaps common icons for (printer filesystem ...) with emblems to
indicate (Samba AppleTalk DAV ...) applied (to cut the number of
required icons down to a manageable number...)

e.g.
"Folder" icon + "Network Import" emblem + "Samba" emblem
"Printer" icon + "Network Import" emblem + "AppleTalk" emblem
...?

One problem might be normative URI's... I suppose e.g.
"network-resources://WORKSTN-NMB/" (its NMB name) &
"network-resources://Workstation DDP/" (its NBP name) &
"network-resources://Workstation.MyOrg.Org/" (its DNS name) might just
all show the same view? -- c.v. "smb://WORKSTN-NMB/" or (non-existent)
"afp://Workstation DDP/"

The "display name" (e.g. title bar / side bar) should probably be taken
from NBP, else NMB Title-Cased, else DNS in the case DNS returns it
(i.e. DNS A/PTR case), since that's likely the order of "most
legible/friendly/..." to "least legible"