Re: [Nautilus-list] Constructive Criticism Revisted

I don't think either of my two nautilus UIs are confusing. In fact, they
are just the opposite. It's clear how to access any drive. Once that
goal is accomplished, the rest is childs play. Remember a computer
illiterate person knows nothing of file systems. All they know is that
they want to access their floppy or cdrom drive and put its files (like
documents, etc..) on their desktop or home directory. Or vice versa. A
new user would be lost if he didn't see directly how to access such
things. No offense, but who cares if you personally find it useless. You
are a advanced user compared to most computer users so you can't think
in terms of what you personally like. As far as what I personally like,
I don't really care if I even have a file browser. However, there are
other people out there that aren't like that and shouldn't be unable to
use a linux desktop because the developers only had advanced users in
mind. The reason I take interest in Nautilus is because UI design is
kind of fun. I'm also a physicist who has to use linux on a daily basis
and it would be nice if others that join the research team could use the
computers naturally without me having to waste a weeks worth of my time
explaining how to do simple file management tasks. From where things
stand now, I think either the vertical or horizontal placement is fine.
Perhaps their placement could be dynamic depending on the dimensions of
the window. In either case, the details of how the "Places" icons are
arranged is trivial. The real point is that such things should be easily
discoverable and easy to access. I just think it looks better to have it
done in a way similar to the way I've presented it. Plus is sets up a
bit of consistency between nautilus and evolution which will be gnome2's
most gnomish and widespread applications.