Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus2 performance

On Wed, 2002-01-23 at 12:51, Seth Nickell wrote:
> I'm pleased to report that Nautilus 2 is performing very quickly
> relative to Nautilus 1!
>
> On my system (PII 450 192 Megs RAM):
>
> Startup time (window open and loaded, desktop loaded and drawn)
>     nautilus1: 16 seconds
>     nautilus2: 9 seconds
>
> New window (empty folder)
>     nautilus1: 9 seconds
>     nautilus2: 4 seconds
>
> Time before first signs of new window appear:
>     nautilus1: 5 seconds
>     nautilus2: 1-2 seconds
>
> New window (/var/www about 50 files of various types, about 15 are
> pre-thumbnailed images)
>     nautilus1: 10 seconds
>     nautilus2: 5 seconds
>
> Change location (/var/www)
>     nautilus1: 2 seconds
>     nautilus2: 2 seconds
>
> This is with the sidebar on, and "News", "Notes", and "History" sidebars
> turned on. All these were done with the cache cold: a fair amount of
> random GNOME use not touching Nautilus to see if under reasonable load
> some stuff might get swapped out.

Altought  the performance of nautilus in this operations has improved a
lot, i think that currenly it is quite slow at redrawing, slower than
nautilus 1, when dragging a window around the desktop i can see white
areas being redrawed, while in nautilus 1 this didn't happend, selecting
items in the icon view with the "rubber band" is also quite slow.

But I think that this is not a nautilus problem but a canvas one, I
whish I had time and knowledge to help with this.