Re: [Nautilus-list] New document icons

On 1/20/02 5:03 AM, "Seth Nickell" <snickell stanford edu> wrote:

> Tigert & Jimmac have been busy and have at long last finished a
> replacement set for the original GMC stock icons we still use for (most)
> document type icons in Nautilus. I'd like to replace most of the
> document icons with the new document icons.
>
> See: http://primates.ximian.com/~tigert/new_stock_project/
>
> Almost with exception I prefer the new document icons to the old gmc
> icons. However, there are some issues raised about possibly replacing a
> few of the newer "eazel" icons such as i-spreadsheet.png and i-music.png
> with generic versions that are consistent with the new document icons.
> (I don't have generic icons for these yet, only specific versions for
> Gnumeric, but I suspect that they would be pretty easy to create).

Which theme are we talking about here?

> 1) Is it OK if I replace the gnome-*.png icons in nautilus/icons with
> the new document icons?

Sure.

> 2) Should I replace i-spreadsheet, i-music and perhaps i-regular with
> "new document icon" versions or should we stick with the current ones?

Is there something good about the current ones that we need to preserve?

I only know about these issues with Nautilus icons:

    1) Nautilus uses multiple sizes, so it's important that we don't replace
an icon with many different tuned sizes with a single icon
    2) Nautilus icon themes inherit icons from a base theme, so if we add
icons to the base theme, it can screw up a theme that doesn't have a
corresponding themed icon, with the base theme icon showing through
    3) the default icon theme for Nautilus used to have a distinctive look,
but I'm sure the rest of the Gnome community would prefer it if the default
theme was one that looked like tigert's art for the rest of Gnome
    4) the default icon theme in Nautilus also serves as the base theme,
which creates tension, because the default theme needs to have a lots of
nice icons, but adding icons to the base theme can break other themes (see
item 2 above)
    5) maybe the icons should be moved into gnome-mime-data anyway

Keep me posted please.

    -- Darin