Re: [Nautilus-list] Nautilus resizing and SVG icons

On 2/8/02 9:52 AM, "Martin Coxall" <coxall cream org> wrote:

> I'd be happy to help, but you'd have to give me pointers on where to
> begin. I am not familiar with the code. This is quite important now that
> "Scalable Gorilla" is out there. If this issue isn't resolved, it's
> going to give GNOME/Nautilus a bad name.

The library is called librsvg. You can exercise it with a program called
test-rsvg. If you get some specimen .svg files, you can run test-rsvg and
time it to see how long it takes to render. If it's too slow, you can use
standard profiling techniques. The test-rsvg program itself uses only glib,
libart, pango, and gdk-pixbuf. There's no gtk or X window system stuff in
there, so it should be relatively easy to profile and do lots of tests from
the command line. To speed things up, you may find that you need make
changes in either libart or pango, not just to librsvg yourself.

As far as the resizing function is concerned, we can probably make a change
to Nautilus that will make it much faster without improving the speed of
librsvg. That's a separate issue that I'll try to tackle eventually.

    -- Darin