Re: [Nautilus-list] 4 nautilus processes chewing up memory

On Tue, 2002-02-12 at 07:53, Alex Larsson wrote:

> > > Everyone claims it needs kernel patches. The kernel has no concept of
> > > which threads make up the same process. They are just different processes
> > > that share some objects (e.g. the mappings).
> >
> > On the other hand, procman is able to kluge around this with reasonable
> > accuracy.
>
> Reasonable for a gui app, not for glibc/kernel. The glibc people want a
> tid (thread id) for each process.

Yeah, but I'm not talking about glib/kernel, and I'm definitely not
suggesting that the kernel do this. I'm talking about `top` which is
where all these erroneous reports come from. Its true that its possible
that occasionally top will misinterpret something as a thread when it is
not... but the number of ocassions of this will, I suspect, be far less
than the frequency with which people assume something is taking 100megs
of RAM which it just has several threads.

But of course, command line programs are supposed to be as unfriendly
and cryptic as possible ;-)

-Seth