Re: [Nautilus-list] Hot Key for terminal?

On Tue, 2002-02-05 at 23:14, Martin Coxall wrote:
    > I have not been able to find this, is there a way of setting a hot key
    > within Nautilus so that a terminal pops up and is cd'ed into the
    > directory from which Nautilus was when I hit the hot key??

    What about thinking big, and having a full-blown shell-tab in nautilus,
    whose command line is cd'd to the currently selected nautilus directory?
    Konqueror has such a facility, and I think it's pretty spiffing,
    actually.

Someone did this once, but the problem is you always need to resize it,
and a lot of apps kind of like to have a 80xSomething terminal size. It
is rather wide for the sidebar, even if you used a crazy microscopic
font. It was a neat hack, but did not really work too well in practice,
at least for me. Besides, some people dont use the sidebar at all.

Konqueror has a "press F[something] (F10? cant remember) to open a shell
in current window", I think macosX has Cmd-~ (cmd-tilde) for opening a
terminal.

But I agree it would be a good idea, I dont care *what* it is as long as
it is something sensible. Ctrl-T for terminal would work but it is used
for "move to trash"; maybe Ctrl-S for "Shell"? I dont know if it is used
for anything?

For starters, you can do a hackish Nautilus script which works, but it
is a bit hard to invoke from the File -> Scripts menu:

    #!/bin/sh
    exec gnome-terminal

This seems to work (I have been using this for a while)

But I agree that having a keyboard shortcut for this could be a good
thing.. Although, if you use a terminal a *lot* while you browse the
files with nautilus, it might be a good time to ask if Nautilus could be
improved to do the task instead of a terminal? This is not meant as
"command line is evil!" -argument, but rather as an interesting study:
what do people find Nautilus most useful for, and what tasks need you to
fire up a shell? I know a lot of people find it handy for organizing
images and especially photos. I also drag files from Nautilus to the
shell a lot, for stuff like

        * cvs commit [drag&drop a bunch of files from a nautilus window]
        * scp [drag&drop] hostname: (although I also have a desktop icon
          that copies stuff to my web "dump" directory on
          primates.ximian.com when I drop files over it)

So I love dragging filenames to the terminal.

Tuomas

--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::