[Nautilus-list] [Fwd: Re: Nautilus Web site (was List Spam)]

Oops, thought I hit reply all.
--
_______________________________________
Glen Gray             Software Engineer
On Fri, 2002-02-01 at 16:57, Darin Adler wrote:
> On 2/1/02 8:43 AM, "Glen Gray" <glen antefacto com> wrote:
>
> >> What lists besides nautilus-list?
> >>
> > Wasn't sure if there was more than one, so "lists" was just in case :-D
>
> And this discussion was about moving the list. Yes, I do plan to move the
> list.

Cool.

> >> What web pages?
> >>
> > http://nautilus.eazel.com/
>
> Would you like to move it to the gnome web server? It seems that it would be
> very easy to do so. I'd also be happy to take nautilus.eazel.com down if you
> think it creates a bad impression.

Well not personally. I'm only getting to know the community recently
too. Perhaps as time goes on I would. But Jeff Waugh is most likely the
man to talk to. I know he has been working on an updated gnome.org site
that did include a nautilus section. He's not finished yet as Gnome 2 is
taking priority. Plus web site etc isn't my area :-D

> > I know that this page is out of date too. I believe there is a new Gnome
> > web site on its way with a nautilus section but Gnome 2 is obviously
> > taking priority.
>
> I'm not sure that the people who would work on the web site are actively
> working on Gnome 2.

It doesn't look like anyone is working on the website at all. There's
stuff on there that is Soooo out of date. The testing stuff for example
looks to be pre 1.0

> Please! I would love to have someone do a good web page for nautilus!

Well this isn't really my area as I said. I've never done a decent web
site. My own site is shit and years out of date. (check it out for a
laugh http://indigo.ie/~slaine)

But I wouldn't mind writing articles/tutorials etc. But I don't have the
knowledge for that at the moment.

> > It would be nice to have tutorials etc. in the long run detailing how
> > Nautilus works, how to write viewers/pluggins etc.
>
> Yes, that would be nice.
>
> > I'm not expecting this anytime soon. And I will gladly help put if
> > needed when this happens.
>
> I would like the help right now. I don't know what you're waiting for.

Hehe :-D. Well my personal time is at a premium at the moment. I've a 5
1/2 month old son who's teething so my partner Zoe needs all the relief
time I can give her. Plus I'm in the middle of sorting out a house (and
having lots of trouble with Insurance companies) so I'm trying to pack
etc for that. And then work is pretty hairy too. With the whole IT slow
down we have to make the most of our money and I just don't have the
time to do anything during the day. Skunkworks projects are definitely
out for the moment :-)

My main ambition is to get familiar with the Nautilus code base so that
I can help fix the things that I see wrong with it and improve it. Once
I get to that kind of level I'd like to be able to do write ups and
tutorials for other people who are looking at dabbling.

I appreciate that you are under a lot of pressure and would love all the
help you can get. And believe me I intend to get there to help out. But
it's going to be a slower process than either of us would like due to my
busy life at the moment. So I'll keep dabbling with the code and reading
and tracing it. I'm building from anoncvs on my laptop everyday. It
doesn't work everyday but when it does I usually take my laptop home and
have a read over the code for half an hour or so at night when the
family have settled down etc.

>     -- Darin
Keep the faith bro.

--