Re: Our size allocation issues

Hi Alex,

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 13:42, Michael Meeks wrote:
> 	Then again, in the bonobo plug world; by the time you have a
> size_allocated the plug needs to be shown unconditionally, so I've just
> changed the interaction so we have:
>
> frame->getWindowId
> 	plug realized
> 	X id returned
> frame <- return X id
> frame -> size_allocate
> 	allocate size
> 	if not mapped -> show (map) widget.

	The problem with this is that if we only realize the GtkPlug it seems
we get no sizing information; whether this is because we miss this code
(in the map method):

      xembed_set_info (widget->window, XEMBED_MAPPED);

      gdk_synthesize_window_state (widget->window,
				   GDK_WINDOW_STATE_WITHDRAWN,
				   0);

	The mapped state is sent via XEmbed to the Socket side, which is stored
in is_mapped / need_map variously, but that seems not to affect whether
we do the gdk_window_move_resize on the plug_window.

	The move_resize however seems to have no effect in terms of emitting a
size_allocate at the other end; which is rather grim. [ although the
precise mechanism by which this is achieved anyway seems strange to me -
the SubStructure mask thing should emit a ConfigureRequest - but where
that is handled, and how it turns into a size_allocate is rather beyond
me ].

	So - in short; I'm confused - it looks like a Gtk+ problem, and not one
that I can hack around; I'd be most interested in Owen's take on it all;
Owen ?

	Regards,

		Michael.