Our size allocation issues

We have some very serious issues with our size allocation for
NautilusViews. For some reason they get allocated at 45x60 and then after
a while the size allocation machinery turns up and makes them the real
size. This gives a variety of problems:

* unneccessary of flashing on startup, new window, and switching view
* performance problems, with double redraws and double size allocation

And, like i discovered today:
* can break other stuff

I found the cause of the bug where desktop icons were placed in the top
left corner on startup. It was limiting the icon positioning to the
allocation of the desktop NautilusIconContainer, but sometimes at startup
when positioning icons the allocation was still 45x60, so everything ended
up in a pile.

We really have to try to fix this for real. I think the problem is
caused by the fact that there is a GktSlot/GktPlug between the toplevel
and the NautilusView placed there by Bonobo, and it makes size allocation
issues very complicated. I did some work a while ago to fix this, but I
never really managed to find out the root cause.

Michael, you know bonobo best, any chance you can take a look at this?

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's an oversexed native American jungle king gone bad. She's a manipulative
gold-digging lawyer from Mars. They fight crime!