Re: Thankyou.

On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 04:32, Michael Meeks wrote:

> On Mon, 2002-08-19 at 03:36, Seth Nickell wrote:
> > > 	The acute security issues have been solved then ?
> > >
> > > 	Until then, it goes no-where near nautilus.
> >
> > Remind me which acute security issues you are referring to?
>
> 	I believe (but am in no way certain) that the reason Medusa was not
> shipped (by Ximian (and others)) was that it compromised security;
> whether by storing world readable archives - or by breaking unix
> permissions / groups or whatever - I know not.
>
> 	Presumably that is fixable, has it been fixed ?

Until these issues are fixed or even if they have a good bit of coded
would be needed to get the solution implemented I have a modest
proposal.

With the thread mentioning the top downloads for nautilus-scripts it
got  me thinking why nautilus could not include a base set of scripts to
add functionality not yet included in the program shell as of yet.

A very simple search-here script that launches a search tool would allow
the user to have the functionality we are talking about until a proper
solution can be implemented.  Also, there are other scripts that many
people use like the gnome-terminal-here script that I (notice the I
people) believe most users need.  Has there ever been any discussion of
choosing a base set of useful scripts to be included by default with
nautilus.  The gtk-du script is very useful and I think
archiver-unarchiver is a great tool.

By giving users a group of scripts by default you get people in the
mindset of using possibly one of the most functional aspects of the
nautilus file-manager from a GUI-power-user perspective.

By adding a search-here tool you give the user the opportunity to have
launch gnome-search-tool without hard-coding in the launching of a tool
that the developer base does not approve of for long term use.

That way when a medusa based solution is implemented the script can
easily be retired while the user the whole time has the functionality
the original request asked for.

As always, just a suggestion.

--
Johnathan Bailes	BAE Systems ESI

 "UNIX was not designed to stop you from doing stupid things, because
 that would also stop you from doing clever things." - Doug Gwyn
---