Re: snap to grid feature

On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 16:54, Ali Akcaagac wrote:
> On Fri, 2002-08-16 at 22:15, Reginald Melchisedek Poyau wrote:
> > Your are correct; Although I dont think the codes are being used at all.
> > I am very much interested in doing snap-to-grid layout for nautilus.  I
> > would like to get some feedbacks on how snap-to-grid should look and
> > behaves when one moves icons around to new positions;  Checkout WinXP
> > desktop snap-to-grid behavior.
>
> well how should layouting look:
>
> personally i like the way how windows does snap to whatever. my personal
> opinion:
>
> a) an option where the user can select if he wants the icons snaped to
>    grid when moving them around on the desktop. or having a manual
>    layout.
>
> b) having the right mouse popup menu show a 'snap to grid' entry.
>
> c) something i personally dont like is the way how kde does snap to
>    grid. i am more the pixel exact kind of person and don't like it much
>    if the icon group top right gets differently layouted as the few
>    icons that i may have at the bottom left.
>
> > http://llanero.eresmas.net/nautilus/nautilus-align.png
> > here columns and rows hights and width are set by icon with max
> > hight/width.  Icons are also aligned verically at their respective
> > horizontal centers.  Icons of different sizes will align very nicely,
> > but this is not the most efficient layout space wise.
> >
> > So far this the type of snap-to-grid I like.
> >
> > Questions I have:
> > 1) What should nautilus do when it runs out of grid cells
> > 	* I will not handle this case at first
>
> thats easy...
>
> 0.0
>
>                     1024,768
>
> here some pseudcode thingy....
>
> if (x < 0) {
>   x = 0;
> else
>   do the layout thingy;
> }
>
> if (y < 0) {
>   y = 0;
> else
>   do the layout thingy;
> }
>
> if (x > maxscreensizex) {
>   x = maxscreensizex - lastgridx;
> else
>   do the layout thingy;
> }
>
> if (y > maxscreensizey) {
>   y = maxscreensizey - lastgridy;
> else
>   do the layout thingy;
> }

That is not really handling that case.  The desktop is not like a
regular scrollable folder, hence there is physical limitation on how
many icons that can fit on the desktop with no overlap;  This is the
case extreme case I am refering about.  Plus nautilus icon setting
function already clips out of bound icons anyway.

> --
> Name....: Ali Akcaagac
> Status..: Student Of Computer & Economic Science
> E-Mail..: mailto:ali akcaagac stud fh-wilhelmshaven de
> WWW.....: http://www.fh-wilhelmshaven.de/~akcaagaa
>
> --

 "There has grown in the minds of certain groups in this country the
idea that just because
a man or corporation has made a profit out of the public for a number of
years, the
government and the courts are charged with guaranteeing such profit in
the future, even in
the face of changing circumstances and contrary to public interest. This
strange doctrine
is supported by neither statue or common law. Neither corporations or
individuals have the
right to come into court and ask that the clock of history be stopped,
or turned back."

-Robert Heinlein, Life Line, 1939