Re: snap to grid feature

On Tue, 13 Aug 2002, Gaute Lindkvist wrote:

> whooah... Before an algorithm is decided upon, I think the issue on what
> kind of grid we want should be up for discussion.
> The way I see it, scaling icons into a grid sort of defeats the purpose of
> having scalable and stretchable icons in the first place.
>
> What we really want is a system for making icons automatically align and
> look systematically placed is it not?
>
> What if we instead of aligning icons into the square of the grid, align it
> to the intersections? This would mean that icons do not have to be the
> same size to look correct.
>
> I made a small mockup:
> http://www.skummelt.no/~monty/grid.png

Nautilus already has some code for cleaning up icons. It does this into a
sort of grid, but icons can cover several grid-squares. It would probably
be pretty easy to re-use that code.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a benighted one-eyed gangster from the 'hood. She's a beautiful
French-Canadian advertising executive living homeless in New York's sewers.
They fight crime!