Nautilus Script Download Statistics

Hi,

With Gnome2 out and Nautilus stabilizing (great job!), it may be time to
think again about how it is used and how it could be made better. I
maintain the nautilus scripts repository at
<http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net>. Before I moved it to sourceforge,
between the months of September and around April, I was able to
accumulate some detailed statistics about which scripts were the most
popular, and I thought I might share them here to provide more insight
into the ways people are extending the functionality of Nautilus, and
thus how Nautilus might be improved.  Keep in mind a few things about
these numbers:

 * This was all pre-gnome2
 * Some scripts evolved from simple to complex, so they may appear
various times as they were renamed
 * Similarly, there are several scripts that duplicate other scripts'
functionalities.
 * The number of downloads for a script is a function of many things
that are not really indicators of popularity, such as: where it appeared
on the page, when it appeared on the website, and whether it was linked
to from an outside email list/discussion website.
 * These numbers do not indicate which ones actually get USED, only
which ones people looked at or downloaded.
 * Even the less popular scripts can be interesting to take notice of,
because someone sat down a wrote it, most likely to solve a problem
he/she was having.

These scripts also say a little about the entire Gnome environment,
which may be of interest to some other gnome-related email lists.  If
you are a member of an email list that might find these numbers
interesting, please forward it on (and cc: me).

I'll make a few comments about them, which you should feel free to skip
if you don't want to listen to a windbag. Clearly, many of the most
popular scripts deal with archiving/compression. I don't think anyone
needs to be told that it would be a boon if nautilus/gnomevfs could
handle compressed files more transparently.  Also, the 'terminal-here'
is a big seller, which is not surprising and has been partially
incorporated into Nautilus2 (but only on the desktop, which makes it no
different from a launcher on your panel).

A number of scripts appear to be popular because nautilus/gnome does not
provide a good way to access their functionality from the 'Open' menu.
For instance the 'gedit' script just opens up the selected files in
gedit. It is easy to open text files in gedit by double-clicking, but
when you want to open an arbitrary config file or a .desktop file, or
multiple files simultaneously, it can be tricky. An easy workaround is
to use a script (otherwise, you have to open gedit from a menu, then
drag the files into the app window or navigate with the file dialog).
Plus, some of these types of scripts offer benefits over the standard
'Open' menu, because they work with multiple files, or they may send
files to a running process (e.g., Queue to XMMS), or can be used on a
directory (e.g., XMMS), or they may allow the program to be invoked with
special arguments.   One incredibly useful example is the 'run' script,
which allows you to type in the name of any arbitrary command-line into
a dialog box, and then executes that line on all selected files. Some of
these application-opening scripts appear to be popular simply because
people can't figure out a way to associate the right file-types with the
appropriate application (e.g., the xine script). In my opinion, the
popularity of the scripts in this paragraph may point out some of the
weaknesses in the current the UI of the "Open" and the filetype
association database application. I don't have any good suggestions
about how this can be improved, but it might be nice to make it simple
to add a script from the scripts directory to the 'Open' menu.

There are a number of scripts I would call 'command-line automation'
scripts--people have automated often-repeated but complicated
command-line processes by making a script out of it. Things like
create-vcd, scp_to_host, and numerous picture/document conversion
scripts are examples. People have even experimented with things like
all-in-one LaTeX and make/build scripts. Although some of these are
general purpose enough to be useful across the file system, many of
their functionalities could be performed by making a launcher in the
appropriate directory that runs the script, so that it is only in the
place that you need it.  Needless to say, this is not at all obvious,
and is difficult to perform unless you have the 'make-launcher' script
from
http://g-scripts.sourceforge.net/nautilus-scripts/System%20Configuration/make_launcher ).  It has been addressed on the desktop (the context menu include a 'New launcher' option), but not for arbitrary directories.

There are a handful of popular scripts that do different filesystem
things (like chmod) or system configuration things (e.g., install_rpm),
often replacing functionality that exists on other desktop systems
(e.g., new-text-document). The creation and popularity of such scripts
may point out other places where nautilus/Gnome's configuration
capabilities are weak. For example, many of them allow changes to be
made to an entire group of files, unlike Nautilus's current properties
dialog.

Anyway, it's just a little food for thought for anyone who wants to do
some Gnome/Nautilus hacking. Here are the numbers, organized into groups
of scripts that perform essentially identical operations.

Number  Percent Script Name
------------------------------------
Archive Creation: 4208
1842	0.0751	archiver-unarchiver(also found in decompression)
783	0.0319	ultimate-archiver
361	0.0147	gnome-archive
343	0.0140	gzip
312	0.0127	create_targz
299	0.0122	bzip2
188	0.0077	create-zip
29	0.0012	compress+option
24	0.0010	Compress__.bz2_
17	0.0007	Compress__.gz_
10	0.0004	create-targz
----
Archive Decompression: 3877
1842	0.0751	archiver-unarchiver (also found in creation)
1207	0.0492	super-extractor
316	0.0129	unrar
266	0.0108	gb-unzip
211	0.0086	uncompress_all