Re: Thankyou.

Medusa is an index based search tool. Its the same basic idea as
"slocate" and friends, but it indexes a lot more than file name and
allows for a much richer search vocabulary. The current interface
integrates a "Find" button into the Nautilus toolbar that brings up a
small search interface replacing the location bar when clicked. Search
results appear in the current Nautilus window, and items should be
operable-on exactly like ordinary files.

Because Medusa uses URIs for the search information, it would not be
difficult to allow search results to be linked to by .desktop files,
essentially allowing for a virtual folder capability. So I might be able
to have a "Spreadsheets" folder that contains all my spreadsheets no
matter where on the system they are. Currently Medusa isn't quite fast
enough for this to be super-usable (on my 600 MHz machine with a slow
laptop hard drive), but its only something like 2-3x too slow.

Currently Medusa also indexes text files, allowing you to search for the
contents of text files (including source code, I believe). However, more
interesting is that it shouldn't be too difficult to add other file
specific indexers into Medusa and allow for searching based on a rich
set of type specific attributes. For example, I might be able to type
"NautilusIconContainer" into a search field in the future and Medusa
would be able to locate nautilus-icon-container.h, which contains that
declaration.

-Seth