Re: [Usability]Nautilus preferences proposal

On Sun, 2002-04-28 at 12:10, Frédéric Crozat wrote:
    Le dim 28/04/2002 à 10:45, Maciej Stachowiak a écrit :
    > On 27Apr2002 09:15PM (-0400), Dave Bordoley wrote:
    > >
    > > 5. speed tradeoffs: i actually like this one, except what the hell does
    > > "Make folder appearances Details public" mean, i have no clue what this
    > > preference does, but if it does anything useful well it should be
    > > renamed.
    >
    > This preference controls whether an item's metadata is stored in the
    > item's directory or in your home directory. The label is trying to
    > explain the end-user effect (will other people be able to see settings
    > of yours like icon positions and custom icons) but ends up being too
    > vague I think.

    And if we don't remove it, we should at least disable it, otherwise
    nautilus create .nautilus-metadata.xml everywhere (like on floppies,
    memory stick and W*ndows partitions :((

Sometimes you want this, like my digital photos on my NFS server, no use
wasting both disk space and cpu cycles to thumbnail thousands of photos
on many computers. But yeah, maybe disabling it by default is a good
idea, though it should definitely not be removed totally.

    In the same idea, I think we should disable by default the "show files
    in tree" preference : users are not used to it and it will enhance speed
    feeling for Nautilus..

We should really just run around taking down things *we* feel are not
needed, as we are The Geeks. I bet Eazel did some user testing on stuff
like that, so lets just not throw away all that without thinking twice.

Tuomas
--
:: :: Tuomas Kuosmanen  :: Art Director, Ximian :: ::
:: :: tigert ximian com :: www.ximian.com       :: ::