Re: Let's remove the Nautilus News sidepanel

sön 2002-04-28 klockan 08.43 skrev Ben FrantzDale:
> On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 09:39:35PM +0200, Murray Cumming wrote:
> > Let's remove the Nautilus News sidepanel. It would solve almost all of
> > these bugs:
> >
> http://bugzilla.gnome.org/buglist.cgi?product=nautilus&bug_status=UNCONFIRMED&bug_status=NEW&bug_status=ASSIGNED&bug_status=REOPENED&email1=&emailtype1=substring&emailassigned_to1=1&email2=&emailtype2=substring&emailreporter2=1&changedin=&chfieldfrom=&chfieldto=Now&chfieldvalue=&short_desc=&short_desc_type=substring&long_desc=news&long_desc_type=substring&bug_file_loc=&bug_file_loc_type=substring&status_whiteboard=&status_whiteboard_type=substring&keywords=&keywords_type=anywords&op_sys_details=&op_sys_details_type=substring&version_details=&version_details_type=substring&cmdtype=doit&order=Reuse+same+sort+as+last+time&form_name=query
> > after all, I think we've all seen the "News sidepanel has crashed"
> > dialogs.
> >
> > More importantly, I don't think that News feeds have any place in a
> file
> > manager, or in a desktop environment. We've got the same thing in
> > Evolution's summary any way.
> >

> I agree. Since it was first added, I've thought the news sidebar was
> totally out of place.
>
> However, it looks like some people really like it. For those people, I'm
> wondering, why do you prefer the Nautilus news sidebar to, for example,
> the Evolution news Summary?

Is the sidebar components hard-coded into the nautilus source (as in,
does it do a bonobo-activation-query to find available sidebars), if
that can be done I think that's the best way. Just rip the stuff out of
nautilus and someone interested in maintaining it can maintain it in
it's own package.

I don't know if this is even possible (they seem pretty hard-coded since
you have buttons for enabling/disabling them in the preferences-dialog).

Regards,
  Mikael Hallendal

--
Mikael Hallendal                micke codefactory se
CodeFactory AB                  http://www.codefactory.se/