Re: [Nautilus-list] Need help on bug 75212

On Mon, 22 Apr 2002, Gaute Lindkvist wrote:

> Basically the bug is about the trash-dialog being modal, so that nothing
> else can be done in Nautilus while the trash-dialog is up.
>
> Now.. ALL Nautilus dialogs are created modal with create_message_dialog in
> eel-stock-dialogs.c
>
> Are there any dialogs that NEED to be modal? And if so, can we assume that
> there are more dialogs that should NOT be modal than those that should, or
> is it the other way around?
>
> If there are few/no dialogs that should be modal, we can just change the
> default, and make sure we override it later when dialogs actually need to
> be modal.. or vica versa.

I don't think generally changing them to be modal is right. Code can
easily depend on them being modal (e.g. memory handling is a lot easier
then), and just blindly doing this change can potentially create lots of
bad bugs.

The right solution is either:
a) Do a comprehensive review of all users of the stock dialogs and make
sure they are non-modal safe. (And if not enable modality)
or
b) Default to modal, but make it easy to switch to non-modal. Then make
the modal -> non-modal change per dialog as we detect them.

I'd say, go with b. It's a lot less risky.

                   alexl redhat com    alla lysator liu se
He's a sword-wielding ninja paranormal investigator from the Mississippi
delta. She's a green-fingered French-Canadian research scientist who can talk
to animals. They fight crime!